Sunday, June 12, 2011

Educational Philosophy 2

This project is going to help me in the future, both in this class and in my own teaching, by showing me some of the ways I want to implement technology and my goals and expectations for this class and my teaching.

Blogging is a helpful way to express your thoughts and share them with anyone who is willing to read them.  It helps you to just put things down that you can look back on and remember why you are doing something as well as let other people learn from what you have done and decide if they want to use some things you have done or if they definitely want to stay away from it.  We have not met the potential set forth by Stephen Downes' and the main thing that is preventing us from doing so is simply no one is educated enough to do so.

The part that stood out the most to me in the article, Creating a New Culture of Teaching and Learning, was the first one, "if it's on the internet, is it true?".  This part stands out to me because I have a 14 year old son who believes that everything on the internet is true.  The biggest thing that gets me is Wikipedia.  He tried writing an entire research paper using only Wikipedia.  He has never been taught that only certain websites are true.  I sat and explained to him and showed him why certain websites are not reliable resources for 2 hours. 

No comments:

Post a Comment